Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom on Tuesday inaugurated the 23 Caretaker Committee Chairmen with a charge on them to live in their domains in order to acquaint themselves with the challenges confronting their people and proffer solutions.
The swearing in ceremony was held at the New Banquet Hall of the Benue Peoples House Makurdi.
Governor Ortom stated that the appointment of the Caretaker Chairmen was to fill the vacuum created by the expiration of the tenure of the elected council Chairmen, stressing that merit was the yardstick used in choosing them.
While tasking the local government chairmen on excellence and the need to prioritize payment of salaries of workers, the Governor charged them to relate closely with the people of their respective areas to identify their challenges, instead of relocating to reside in Makurdi, the state capital.
He urged the council Caretaker Chairmen to also execute projects in accordance with the needs of their communities while exploring avenues to guarantee peace and security.
Governor Ortom emphasized on the importance of transparency and prudence in the management of resources accruing to the councils.
He reaffirmed his support for local government autonomy and advocated that implementation of the new guidelines on financial autonomy for local governments should follow constitutional procedures to prevent crisis at the third tier of government.
He stated that the appointment of eight women as caretaker committee chairmen and a number of youths was to ensure gender sensitivity and to encourage the youth prepare themselves for greater opportunities.
Caretaker Committee Chairman of Guma local government area, Mr Anthony Shawon, who responded on behalf of his colleagues, expressed appreciation to the Governor for the confidence reposed in them and promised to live up to expectations.
Those inaugurated included:
- Ado LGA: James Ogaba Oche
- Apa LGA: Umaru Agi Onyemyoma
- Agatu LGA: Alilu Usman Suleman
- Buruku LGA: Dooshima Orlu
- Gwer West LGA: Francis Ayagah
- Gwer East LGA: Nicholas Utukwa
- Gboko LGA: Barr. Jacob Iorver
- Guma LGA: Anthony Shawon
- Katsina-Ala LGA: Viginia Kpindi
- Konshisha LGA: Justina Mwuese Ubebe
- Kwande LGA: Engr. Tertsugha Yakwan
- Logo LGA: Albertson Ankwa Amo
- Makurdi LGA: Mwuese Cicilia Agber
- Obi LGA: Joseph Ipenyi
- Ogbadibo LGA: Prince Onuh Samuel Odoh
- Ohimini LGA: Barr. Adakole Abutu
- Oju LGA: Alicia Eru
- Okpokwu LGA: Amina Audu
- Otukpo LGA: George Ali
- Tarka LGA: Juliana Mngusonun Susan
- Ukum LGA: Iberlogo Tor Tyoakaa
- Ushongo LGA: Bemsen Bernard Agugu
- Vandeikya LGA: Ibrahim Songu Anor